Re: Refocusing on HTML

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Greg A. Smith wrote:

> With HTML forms all of the functionality one needs to create
> ... cut out ...
> building a simple, cheap, easily-to-implement solution using HTML
> forms, developers have to look for alternatives.
>
> Java is one of the alternatives.  But as soon as we leave the well
> understood, easy-to-implement world of HTML forms and CGIs, our
> development costs, time schedule, uncertainty and risk all take
> a big jump. Managers are not eager to enter the unexplored territory
> of bleeding edge Java development.  What usually happens is that the
> project gets scaled back to a mostly read-only, non-interactive web
> ... cut out ...
> platform, or the project is cancelled altogether.

This can be applied to a company in Australia called Telstra (our
largest, and primary Telephone and Data services carrier). They 'refuse'
to allow their own machines to run JavaScript, or any Java Enabled
applications AT ALL.

Having things like this in HTML overcomes that, if they will upgrade
their browsers that is...

| Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)  - You may be human, but you're still animals! |
| nakor@glasswings.com.au - If you've done 6 impossible things, learn Java |