Re: Enhancements to FORMs

Lee Daniel Crocker <lcrocker@calweb.com> wrote:
>> Do the proponents of Java have enough leverage at the W3C to stifle
>> parallel development of HTML idioms that mirror Java functionality?
>
>I doubt it, but they do pay very close attention to compatibility
>with existing agents, and the focus on HTML as a data-representation
>language.  In the first point, W3C is not likely to favor an addition
>that existing agents can't handle and that is not of obvious benefit.
>Multi-column selects might just be worth it, but many of the other
>things I've heard proposed probably aren't.
>
>Also, forms are a bit outside HTML's initial purpose to begin with,
>so complicating them without clear benefit should not be done
>lightly or hastily.  W3C's silence doesn't necessarily mean that
>they aren't listening (though it might); it could mean that they've
>listened and didn't like the idea, as is their prerogative.

	I'm not sure on what basis you formulated those opinions, and
perhaps you should consider the possiblility that they are expressions
of mere wishful thinking. :)

	The Cougar DTD has:

	<!ENTITY % script "CDATA" -- scriptlet -->

and:
        onLoad   %script  #IMPLIED   -- intrinsic event --
        onUnload %script  #IMPLIED   -- intrinsic event --
        onClick  %script  #IMPLIED    -- intrinsic event --
        onMouseOver %script #IMPLIED  -- intrinsic event --
        onMouseOut  %script #IMPLIED  -- intrinsic event --

for a number of elements, and NOTE ESPECIALLY:

        onFocus  %script #IMPLIED  -- intrinsic event --
        onBlur   %script #IMPLIED  -- intrinsic event --
        onSelect %script #IMPLIED  -- intrinsic event --
        onChange %script #IMPLIED  -- intrinsic event --
        onSubmit  %script   #IMPLIED   -- intrinsic event --

for a NUMBER of FORM fields!!!!

	Unfortunately, there is no explanatory description of them,
beyond the "scriptlet" and "intrinsic event" comments, there is no
description of fallback options in the absence of scripting or when
it is disabled, and, of course, NO PUBLIC DISCUSSION, DEBATE, OR
DEFENSE of them, which may indeed be the W3C ERB's "prerogative",
but not necessarily in the best interest of the Internet as a whole.
;( exression of noble ideals for a "level playing field", as salve
for a "foul mood", notwithstanding );

				Fote