Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> Not sure what "existing practice" is, or is expected to be, but if a person
> is using a certain charset specified via HTTP (or <meta http-equiv=...>),
> then why would numeric charrefs be needed in the first place? The only
> possible reason would be to include characters in Latin-1 or Unicode, since
> the page would already have all characters in the specified charset available.
> Thus, usage of NCRs for a non-Unicode/Latin1 charset makes no sense, and any
> such pages deserve to break. :-)

But you didn't consider cheesy little editors (I don't mean Emacs).
They will do it for you. On Windows, in particular. When you're not using
Latin 1, they will assume you do, because, what else could you be using?

And they will insert entities, tons of them. Some of them will be in the
128-159 range. These will be numeric, others will be simbolic.

Thus, usage of HTML editors makes no sense, and their authors deserve to
break a leg. >:)

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

dave@fly.cc.fer.hr