Re: HTML 3.2 PR

At 09:15 PM 11/15/96 -0600, Carl Morris wrote:

>| HTML *is* SGML. <! > is *not* a comment. HTML user agents *do* use
>| information in <! >. Those that validate documents, for instance,
>will look
>| at the DOCTYPE to determine which version of HTML to validate
>against.
>
>Those are not HTML parsers, they are SGML parsers ... see a later post
>coming from me in the list...  I have defined these terms as I use
>them.

No, they are not SGML parsers, because they cannot parse non-HTML DTDs. They
are *validating* HTML parseres

>Saying "<! >" is not a comment is true...  but you have not said where
>it is not a comment...

It is never a comment. Some user agents skip it, but that doesn't make it a
comment.

>it is comment, my HTML parser skips right over
>the whole construct.

That's fine. You do not have a *validating* HTML parser. You have a
non-validating HTML parser.

 Paul Prescod
---
Boycott Shell Oil worldwide!  http://www.web.apc.org/embargo/shell.htm

"Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel
said to be holding a watching brief."..."The ecological war that the Company
has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later." -Ken
Saro-Wiwa to the tribunal that later executed him.
http://www.goldmanprize.org/goldman/ken.html