Re: HTML 3.2 PR

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Carl Morris wrote:

> I am going to pick on people with this:
>
> <! is a comment in HTML >
>
> <! -- this is a comment in SGML -- >
>
> Why?  An HTML parser has no business trying to figure out SGML, an SGML
> parser being used on an HTML document on the other hand may have use
> for the declaration.  It needs to be described this way.  Calling <! >
> not an HTML comment is misleading to those people who have no use for
> SGML.

Nonsense.  From RFC 1866:

    To include comments in an HTML document, use a comment declaration. A
    comment declaration consists of `<!' followed by zero or more comments
    followed by `>'. Each comment starts with `--' and includes all text
    up to and including the next occurrence of `--'. In a comment
    declaration, white space is allowed after each comment, but not before
    the first comment. The entire comment declaration is ignored

Thus, you can say if you like that `<! should be a valid comment in HTML', but
if you say that it _is_ a valid comment in HTML, you are simply incorrect.

--
				Jim Wise
				System Administrator