Re: HTML 3.2 PR (fwd)

At 2:44p -0800 11/15/96, MegaZone wrote:

>DOCTYPE must stay for SGML.  And if you want your document to be truly
>valid, you use it.  Why is this complicated?  Most decent editors insert
>it, and experienced users can insert it by hand.
>
>No problem.  You'd have to be pretty clueless to have problems with it.

What's complicated is all the "-//xxx/" stuff inside the DOCTYPE tag.
Mere mortals cannot guess what is valid in there, and thus the safest
things is to leave it out completely. The suggested thing to put there
has changed so many times over the years and months that it is impossible
for anyone to know for sure what to put. Who assigns that stuff anyway?
Does IANA decide? W3C/ERB? You? Me? Captain Kangaroo? Who knows? Not I.