RE: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax (fwd)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, MegaZone wrote:

> >come up with hue percentages would be an even more difficult task than
> >looking up RGB codes -- is there any kind of support for a standard to
> >simply list the color names (and more than the typical basic 16)?
>
> There are already clashes with some early browser releases over the
> color names.  As a designer I avoid names completely and use the hex
> equivalents.  I think it would be good for any editors to do the same -
> even if they present it to the user as 'Bright Red' save the HTML as
> "#FF0000".

I think the next question is, is it legal to define a color twice for
the same use, and let the browser use whichever it can handle, (with hex
being the one supported over color name).

IE: say i really want a bright red, but not 'truely' bright. I might
define it as a 'Bright Red' by words, but I might define the HEX value as
#F80000. That way, if for some reason the browser only supports words, it
gets it's nearest equivalent.

The question after that, is does this method break any CURRENT browsers?

| Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)  - You may be human, but you're still animals! |
| nakor@glasswings.com.au - Man is territorial. Violence is our response.  |