Re: HTML 3.2 PR - lists

Joe English <joe@trystero.art.com> wrote:
>There is also a structural difference between MENU/DIR and UL,
>at least in RFC 1866:  MENU and DIR cannot contain nested block-level
                        ^^^^^^^^
>elements, while UL may.   [...]

	Do correct me if I'm wrong, 'cuz I still can't read DTDs with
high confidence that I understand their notation, but from the HTMLized
"verbal" descriptions of the HTML 2.0 RFC and (expired) HTML 3.0 draft
only DIR is precluded from being nested, because it's a columnar array,
and thus <UL PLAIN> and <MENU> *are* fully equivalent, except for issues
of "compactness", which are to be handled via variations in font size,
and thus relevant only to GUI's.

	Or do you mean that UL and not MENU can have *other* block
level elements as content.  I thought they both could only have LH
and LIs (perhaps not LH for MENU in the actual DTD, but what the heck
in "reality" 8-).  In contrast DIR can have only LIs with maximum
20-character strings, for the array of 24-character-wide columns.

				Fote