Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

James Aylett wrote:

> > This gets around the problem of the browser not knowing the meaning of a
> > new colour format, since it can be embedded in the document itself.  It
> > also means that document authors can define a colour setting once and then
> > refer to it by name throughout the document, although it would probably be
> > less useful in the presence of stylesheets.
>
> What exactly would you mean the COLOUR (a/or COLOR) element to do? Define
> a name which can then be used by BGCOLOR etc.?

Yes, although it is more likely to be used by the <font> tag.  Quite
frequently I see documents with lots of <font> tags for changing
colours all using the same hex value .  If the colour definition was
placed in one place and then referred to by colour attribute of the
font tag, then this would simplify maintainance.  This is something
that can also be solved by stylesheets, I think, but people are still
going to use those <font> tags for the foreseeable(sp?) future.

--
Stewart Brodie, Electronics & Computer Science, Southampton University.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~snb94r/      http://delenn.ecs.soton.ac.uk/