Re: Browser maximum WIDTH & HEIGHT!

Heikki Vesalainen writes:

> the reason I started the discussion on
> this subject was that my background pictures look bad on screens
> wider than 800 pixels (by back ground pictures are 800 pixels wide), and
> I want some kind of solution to this (other than, "stop using back
> ground pictures, they are not real HTML").

I don't hear anyone saying that.

> Just check them out on an screen wider than 800 pixels, the background
> pictures will "loop".
> (the address is http://www.clinet.fi/~wes/me.html)

Okay, what you have there is a dark red/brown background with a blue border
at the left edge with some kind of dark stripe joining them.

This is most easily expressed as an image for the blue part and the
dark stripe. The image repeats in the vertical direction and I note that
you have a very small image in the vertical - excellent.

What you want is a means to specify a background colour as well, so that
the background provides the dark red part and this resizes to any browser
width.

You also need a way to say that the background image repeats in the
vertical but not the horizontal and is placed flush left on the page and
scrolls with the text on the page.

Something like:

html {background: "backlinr2.gif" #700; bg-style: repeat-y scroll}

Something like CSS1 ;-)

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |