Re: <insert> and external entity references (fwd)

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Benjamin C. W. Sittler shaped the electrons to say...
> >A style and semantics language like dsssl could solve this, at least for
> >a known DTD. Each DTD can refer to a dsssl program which renders it.
>
> Something else that has never been answered in any satisfactory manner -
>
> An author uses "HTML 3", Netscape, M$IE, and Bob's Browser markup tags in
> their documents.  None is a superset of all of the others.
>
> What is the DTD?
>
> And "Well the user shouldn't do that" is a bullshit answer, because in the
> real world this *is* the case a great deal of the time.
>
> Good browsers deal with this fine - they just don't use tags that they
> don't understand.  And that is most browsers I've ever used.  No need for
> a DTD.
>
> A pure SGML browser would choke on this with no DTD to follow.

Basically, the author needs to write up a DTD (or download/refer to one)
which includes all the tags used in that document. This could be based on
a modular DTD with appropriate elements defined for extensions, including
extensions to the style/semantics program that accompanies the DTD. I'm
still not sure after reading about DSSSL, but the author may be able to
extend an existing stylesheet from another (to support more tags.) The
exact syntax might be a bit hairy, especially with a modular DTD, but it
is theoretically possible. An extended CSS might even be made to serve as
a semantics language for simple hypertext document types.

Benjamin C. W. Sittler