Re: Efficient linking between sections of different documents

At 10:55 AM 6/26/96 +0530, Ankur Bhatnagar wrote:
>I think fetching _entire_ document is undesirale for two
>reasons:
>1. It wastes bandwidth.  Sometimes the relevent reference is
>   only of one or two lines while the file consists of 500 or
>   more lines.  It wastes time also esp. if the reference is
>   somewhere towards the end of the documents.
>2. It distracts the attention of the reader towards other
>   unrelated topics.

Your suggestion would require a whole new tree structure overlayed on top of
the standard HTML element tree. That seems like overkill. It seems simpler
to allow people to link to a DIV element. HTML 3.0 allowed this but HTML 3.2
does not.

 Paul Prescod