Re: HEIGHT attribute for <TR>

Adam M. Costello wrote:

> A while ago, as my first experiment with tables, I decided to try to
> convert an ASCII-art chart (using <PRE>) into a <TABLE>.  Here's the
> chart:
>
> http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~amc/test/schedule.html

and

> I eventually came up with a gross hack:
>
> http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~amc/test/table.html

Dear Mr. Adam M. Costello,

Although there are ways to represent a schedule like yours in simple
tabular form (Each row corresponds to a half an hour period), probably
that is not what you are looking for.

You are trying to represent time slots with variable hights of cells.
This reminds me of Gantt charts (Its just that they are horizontal). I
don't think that is the intended use of tables. Gantt charts, your
schedule chart and other similar charts (bar charts, for example) fall
into the realm of graphics. I would only say that the use of <table>s
for representing your schedule is quite innovative but do not require
a change in <table> specifications. What actually is required is that
the spreadsheet programs (which specialize in such charts) like Excel,
Lotus etc. should give their output in GIF/JPEG/etc. formats also so
that it can be placed in the HTML files as an IMG (Image).

Or viewed from another angle,

> Any other ideas?  Any other example situations in which control of
> row height would be desirable, or in which it's desirable to label
> boundaries instead of rows and columns?

a bar chart, a high-low-close chart and other such charts are more
ideas that may benefit from control of row hights.

Ankur.