Re: ReComments on Cougar DTD:

In article <1.5.4.32.19960722143109.00743374@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>,
Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> At 07:35 PM 7/21/96 +0200, Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet wrote:
> >But again, if inline style markup is going to be in Cougar (the STYLE
> >attribute), why not allow 'shortcuts' for certain often-used constructs?
> >It would be similar to having <CENTER> next to <DIV ALIGN=CENTER>, or
> ><FONT FACE=times> next to <SPAN STYLE="font: times">.
>
> Because it confuses the architecture of the standard (just as those Wilbur
> shortcuts do).

Is that such a big problem? The specs could note these are not
recommended, or that it *should* be done with style sheets, but for
things like small, one-document projects inline styles are just as
difficult/easy as external style sheets.

> Hopefully now that Microsoft has admitted the error of their ways, W3C will
> have the courage to deprecate the formatting nasties in Cougar.

I am still not convinced. People *will* use inline style markup, so
why not add the abbreviations? By requiring style sheets for everything,
you require a lot more extra work to mark up a document.

Galactus

--
To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.