Re: Public Specifications: [was: a bad idea]

In message <9607101605.ZM18338@home.ckm.ucsf.edu>, "Marc Salomon" writes:

>The IESG (Internet Engineering Steering Group...as close to 'philosopher-kings
>'
>or judges as the IETF gets) decided that the IETF standardizes protocols, not
>data formats, such as HTML.  While not at all irrelavent, data formats don't
>seem to be in scope for the IETF.

Can you document that? I've heard it said informally lots of times
that APIs and data formats are not the IETF's cup of tea, but is there
an actual stated doctrine somewhere?

When I first started looking at places to go with the HTML spec
back in the spring of '94, the IETF seemed like an odd fit. But
it seemed to be the place where internet stuff happened...

Dan