Re: Resizing images relative to window size

At 05:38 PM 96/07/04 +0100, James Aylett wrote:
>On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Jon Wallis wrote:
>
>> On  4 Jul 96 at 17:20, James Aylett wrote about external image programs
>>
>> Well, of course, this is what happened before "in-line" display came
>> in with Mosaic.  I always quite liked having an external viewer
>> start-up to view images, but I suspect it wouldn't satisfy most
>> people (especially people who are obsessed with appearance rather
>> than content).  The idea of being able to configure a browser to
>> either display images in-line or pass them to a helper app is
>> interesting, but I don't think it would work in practice - too many
>> web pages now are tightly-bound mixtures of text+graphics (e.g.,
>> newspaper/magazine sites).
>
>No, I meant that you'd have an external application work on it to a
>temporary file or area of memory, and then the browser would pick the
>result up and display it in its own window.
>
>James

Sorry for me-tooing, but this is a great idea. I can imagine that different
people would attempt to create graphics utilities especially for this
purpose, and in the end, it would lead to a vast improvement in speed & quality.

This approach could also enable the web to contain more than 3 graphics
formats for www pages, if the utility would simply convert it to .GIF (or
.PNG) before passing the results to the browser.  Mabey we would even be
able to use vector-based graphics on www-pages, and there are many
advantages to this.

Unfortunately it's a browser issue, and not html. (sincere apologies)

MvS