Re: Automatic Entry and Forms

From: Adam Jack <ajack@corp.micrognosis.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:35:38 -0500 (EST)
To: Lee Shombert <las@severn.wash.inmet.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Lee Shombert wrote:

> There is no way to disallow access to a the browser database except through
> encryption.  Remember - you own the file and you own the browser process.
> In the absence of encryption my argument stands: the proposal encourages
> people to expose personal information to unscrupulous outsiders.

Nothing is safe from bogus trusted code. If we stopped all applications
'cos of that we'd have no e-mail, no web browser, no applications
connected to LANs let alone WANs or the Internet. One couldn't even
encrypt 'cos you couldn't trust the algorythm.

To date, little persuades me that there is significantly decreased
privacy with this proposal. Any privacy leak would be in implementation
where browsers failed to provide UI verification and audit trails.

Adam
--
+1-203-730-5437 | http://www.micrognosis.com/~ajack/index.html