Re: comments (Re: Really Quick Guide to Good HTML)

On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, David Ornstein wrote:

> At 04:17 PM 2/21/96 -0600, BearHeart / Bill Weinman wrote:
> >At 04:46 pm 2/21/96 EST, Ben Breakstone spake:
> >><!-- hey, this is a comment, jerko -->
> >>would remain invisible,
> >><!-- hey,
> >>  this is a comment, jerko
> >>-->
> >>would show up as "this is..." in the middle of the page.  I've found at
> >>least two browsers that do this.  My understanding is that this is
> >
> >   I would love to know what browsers you've found that do this.
>
> And I'd love someone to submit a BrowserCaps test (see .sig) for this...

The test could be modeled on the results of loading

  <URL:http://www.ddj.com/>

Does your browser show Dr. Dobb's Journal's "Recent Features"?

If it does (e.g. Netscape), the parsing of comment declarations is broken.

FWIW, Lynx-FM doesn't show the "Recent Features" section.

To understand why, we need productions [91] and [92] from Clause 10.3 of
ISO 8879 (the SGML standard.) Section 3.2.5 of RFC 1866 explains it in
plain English.

If you view the source for the DDJ page, you'll find that the editors
intended to place the Recent Features section between two "comment tags"
(whatever they are) but actually achieved a single comment declaration
with 29 comments, 26 of them empty...

Cheers,
ar