Re: HTML as help (was Re: Really Quick Guide to Good HTML)

>At 7:40p 02/20/96, Paul Prescod wrote:
>
>>some operating systems use HTML as the standard online help format.
>
>Hmm, very interesting. Which OS's are those?

Microsoft recently announced that its application-based help will use HTML
as source documents. I would assume that future versions of Windows would
probably follow suit, as doing otherwise would require support of two
different help systems.

We'll probably see support of an inline glossary element to match MS help's
current dotted underline glossary entries, much as someone suggested online
last week. This element would probably need attribute support for both an
inline definition or an HREF to an external glossary document.

HTML 3.0 had a footnote FN element:

    <!--
    Typically rendered as popup note. These elements are referenced
    by hypertext links specified with the anchor element.
    -->
    <!ELEMENT FN - - %body.content;>
    <!ATTLIST FN %attrs;>

which could be modified to include HREFs to an external document:

    <!ELEMENT FN  - -  %body.content; >
    <!ATTLIST FN
            HREF     CDATA  #IMPLIED
            CONTENT  CDATA  #IMPLIED
            %attrs;
            %SDAFORM; "FN"

    <!-- <FN>               footnote/glossary markup                   -->
    <!-- <FN HREF="...">    address of link to footnote/glossary entry -->
    <!-- <FN CONTENT="..."> footnote/glossary inline text entry        -->

Just an idea...

Murray

    Murray Altheim, Program Manager
    Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
    email: <mailto:murray@spyglass.com>
    http:  <http://www.stonehand.com/murray/murray.htm>