Re: Combo Walker/Validator [was: Conformance ratings]

In message <199602130336.TAA23804@server.livingston.com>, MegaZone writes:
> (I'd like to find a checker I can have recurse our site to
>check them all and just report errors.  I know my own code has some silly
>things (When tired I sometimes close tags that don't require closing) but
>moreso, some pages are done by someone in marketing and I find errors in
>her HTML often enough for it to be a concern for me as Webmaster.

Under what conditions are you validating things? On the same machine,
it should be simple to wrap a file tree walker around a validation
command. For instance, I do:

1> treewalk dir data:html filter "name=='#?.html'" html-validate-file

And all the html files in the tree get validated (no link validation,
though).

If you want to do this over the web, possibly part of a publication
system I built would do the job. You hand it a URL, and it walks all
the pages "below" that page, pulling them over and validating them.
It does link checking as well. It was about an afternoons work to
build that part of it, AFTER I had sgmls and the www library set up.
Turning this into a simple validator should be straightforward.

If you're really interested in the latter, let me know and I'll see
about prying a copy out of the hands of the owners.

	<mike