RE: FORM tag use

In a message dated 96-02-11 15:28:09 EST, lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk (lilley)
writes:

>If you are writing an HTML editor, then yes, otherwise what do you do if
>the user loads in an existing page with multiple forms?
>
>> The editor UI would be much more
>> simple if only single forms were allowed.
>
>I don't see that follows. The GUI  HTML editors I have seen (asWedit,
>Symposia, Tamaya) all allow multiple forms without any problem. What was
>the difficulty you foresaw?

If only a single form was allowed, there would be no form UI needed. The
placement of a form control onto the page would mark the entire page with the
<FORM> tag. My system internally already supports multiple forms, I'm just
working on the UI for manipulating them.

When multiple forms are allowed you have to contruct a UI for dividing the
page up into sections. Vermeer did this by capturing text in a rectangular
region. Navipress also supports this but I find it's UI very confusing. A lot
of confusion in the UI comes from having text that is not contained in the
form. How do the systems you mentioned work?

One idea I'm having is to mark the entire page as a form when the first
control is placed. I'll then add a split form function to divide the page up
into multiple forms. I would also need a function to mark a table cell as a
form.

Jon Smirl
jonsm@aol.com