Re: 3.0 entities, etc.

PP> Anyone else notice that the Latin-1 entities are given as "&255;"
PP> and not "&#255;" in the 3.0 draft (now obsolete, I guess)?

 Nope, but then since it's obsolete...

 You want BrowserCaps, <URL:http://www.objarts.com/bc/>.

PP> Is it &endash; or &ndash; finally?  Did we decide?  And more
PP> importantly, does anyone implement it?

 Well, according to the obsolete HTML 3 DTD
<!ENTITY mdash  SDATA "[ndash ]" -- em dash -->
<!ENTITY ndash  SDATA "[ndash ]" -- en dash (1/2-em) -->
but you'd have to check BrowserCaps for more info.  You might also
want to check <URL:http://www.acl.lanl.gov/HTML_WG/archives.html> to
see what the status of the HTML WG is on this subject.

PP> Is there a list of Mozillaisms?

 If so, only Netscape will know for sure.

PP> [...]

PP> Lastly, I was thinking that it would be useful to add some
PP> attributes to <p> for moving in the left or left and right margins
PP> for paragraphs, and adding an exdented tag.  I catch myself using:
[...]
PP> even though it's not really a definition... but more of a
PP> tagged/numbered citation.

 You want style sheets.  See <URL:http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/>.
They do everything you describe and more.

PP> Can <p> be used within the body of a <dd>?  No reason the text of
PP> a definition can't span paragraphs, right?

 Right.  From the HTML 2 DTD,
<URL:http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_9.html#SEC9.1>

<!ELEMENT DD    - O %flow>
  ^^^^^^^^^^    ^ ^ ^^^^^
    1           2 3   4

which says that a DD element(1) consists of a mandatory start-tag(2),
namely <DD>; an optional end-tag(3), namely </DD>; and %flow.  Looking
at

<!ENTITY % flow "(%text|%block)*">

we see that %flow is defined to be either %flow or %block.  Finally,
(an exercise left to the reader :) %block contains P in it.

 So, yes, a <P> can occur within <DD>.

PP> I've seen a lot of misuse of tags to acheive a certain look.
PP> Recently I bought "The Webmster's guide to HTML [etc]"...  The
PP> book used lists within <blockquotes></blockquote> to get left and
PP> right indents!  No style at all...  Since people just might try to
PP> use tags for getting "that certain look", why not add attributes
PP> to things like <p> but discourage their use?

PP> Why pretend that people aren't going to do the wrong thing?
PP> Instead, we could provide graceful ways for them to shoot
PP> themselves in the foot if they really want to.

 See style sheets.

PP> One other thing...  I've been using <p id="Sec4.1"> and then links
PP> like <a href="#Sec4.1"> but this doesn't seem to work.  I tried
PP> adding <a name="Sec4.1"<p> and this works better (or more
PP> frequently).

PP> Does anyone actually implement the "id=" attribute?

 Maybe Arena, UdiWWW, and emacs-w3?  (Yet another wonderful attribute
not supported widely...>sigh<)

--
Cornell knows I exist?!? | e-mail: lazio@spacenet.tn.cornell.edu
Lt. Lazio, HTML police   | http://astrosun.tn.cornell.edu/students/lazio/