Re: Curly Quotes and HTML

In article <199612301453.AA159957636@lhrsys20.lhr-sys.DHL.COM>,
Andre Mas <amas@lhr-sys.DHL.COM> wrote:
> What should I do if I want these curly quotes. Am
> I supposed to use plain quotes and leave it up to the browser to do
> the necessary work?

You can use the &quot; entity - a browser can pick 'curly quotes'
to display those (properly nested even), assuming it is advanced
enough.

> Also, is there a tag that indicates what character set is being used
> in the document?

This is done in the Content-Type header:

would suggest a ISO Latin 1 character set (the default, by the way).
Some browsers also accept this in a META tag:

<META HTTP-EQUIV=content-type CONTENT="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1">

Galactus

- --
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665