Re: wherefore CGM?

Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> You still haven't answered my question: if you strip the preview from
> the encapsulated postscript and gzip it, how will the size compare
> to a binary CGM?  CGM might still be a win, but it won't be as
drastic.

I thought I answered that well enough in the comment about binary
PostScript. Oh, well. It's 8k vs 1.5k. Or, to put it another way, the
zipped, previewless PS is more than 5 times as large. The zipped CGM is
1.36k.

This is really a meaningless comparison. This logo is quite simple, and
could probably have been hand-coded into an EPS file of less than 2k.
The logo was drawn in CorelDRAW!, which inserts a general function
dictionary into the EPS header. A more sophisticated export filter
would tailor the function dictionary to the drawing, and in that case a
zipped EPS wouldn't be so much larger than a CGM.

David Perrell