Re: suppress the border of a clickage image ?

Roger BREL writes:

> I have some clickable images which are a grey background color.
> This grey is the same that the background color of Mosaic.
> 				(by default RGB=&bfbfbf)

Yes, my Mosaic uses a nice buff colour like all my other X windows, but that
colour is indeed the default for PC and X mosaic (not Mac mosaic, which uses
white).

Presumably your application is some LAN-based corporate-wide setup, so you
can guarantee that everyone is using Mosaic for X or PC. Users of other
browsers would see a strange grey box; in Netscape, which has the same
grey background by default, it will be dithered to the nearest colours
in a colour cube so still not look right.

If you ever make these pages available on the World Wide Web, you would be
advised to use a transparent GIF.

> When I insert one of this clickable image in a document, I have a blue border
> around this one.

Yes, you will see a blue border by default in Mosaic for PC. Mosaic for X,
Netscape for X, Netscape for PC and Netscape for Mac. Other browsers will
use other hilighting to show the user this is a link.

> Is it possible suppress the border color of a clickable image in HTML 2.0 ?

No. The HTML 2.0 DTD does not specify how a browser shall show a link, let alone
whether it should be with a border or what colour that border should be.

One point - if you were to remove the hilighting, how would people know
it was an active image?

If you wanted to change all the browsers your company uses to Netscape,
you could then use a Netscape-specific tag to turn off the hilighting. This
would of course not work for other browsers, such as Mosaic; nor would it
work if your pages were on the World Wide Web, where you have no control
over which browsers are used.

> Is it possible to specify a border width for these images or for all images ?

No. Again, there is a Netscape-specific extension to do this.

If you want all your images to have a border, why not put one in all your
images? You can then be sure it is of the desired size and colour.

--
Chris Lilley
| Technical Author, Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre  |