Re: Multi column layout question.

>At 4:05 PM 6/23/95, kitblake/Kurt Foss wrote:
>
>>The Problem is Acrobat generates very large files, especially with pictures.
>
>What do you consider "very large?" A forthcoming Netscape Navigator will
>allow one to download separate pages from a pdf file rather than the entire
>file, if a user wants only a portion. Too many sites today fail to break up
>their pdf docs so folks can snag smaller portions if they so choose, in
>addition to the full doc.

I frequently download the  (Acrobat) Internet Edition of the NYTimes. Eight
pages, three little pictures and it's 100k. A portion has the same ratio.
If I request one page, it's 12k, when it would be 3k in HTML. I download
those same three pictures every day. Again. (One is the header, and two are
advertisements, which don't change very often.)

But there is a point here. Browsers (at least, Netscape) will also handle
Java applets.  And eventually other things - inlined movies, etc. These are
objects that (private) users can make with little investment.  Acrobat is
expensive, and while I am not criticizing the product, unless Adobe
releases a shareware version (a la Netscape), I don't see Acrobat as a
solution to Web page design.

I'm a fortunate individual, with a fast corporate link and powerful
processors at my disposal. But it's not just myself that I'm thinking about
in looking for viable solutions.

kitblake