Re: XHTML Test Suite Minimal document

Karl Dubost wrote:

> We will be faced to the problem of the minimal document. So we need a
> first battery of documents with errors and with good structure to
> test browsers, parsers, etc. (also xml parsers, because xhtml is also
> an xml document).
>
> And we will have to define the minimal document that will contains
> the test for others elements.
>
> So, what will be the Minimal document.
>
> The recommendation gives as a minimal example for an xhtml document.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE html
>       PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>      "DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
This should be an absolute URI reference.
>    <head>
>      <title>Virtual Library</title>
>    </head>
>
> It's also easy to define at the same time the Test Suite for HTML
> 4.01 if we do the XHTML 1.0
>
> ----------------
> for XHTML 1.0
> I. Minimal Document
>         - Strict
>         - Transitional
>         - Frameset
>         - Processing instructions
>         - Character encoding
>         - Bogus Document
>                 without namespaces, without, root element, etc.
>         - Namespace uses
>
> II. Documents XHTML specific
>         - Wellformed
>         - Lowercase for attributes and elements
>         - End tags requirements
>         - quoted attributes values
>         - Attributes minimization
>         - Empy Elements
>         - white space handling
>         - SGML exclusions
>         - elements with id  and name attributes
>
> >From this part, we should build test as we will do for html 4.01 but
> will XHTML requirements in syntax. So we may use the table of
> contents of html 4.01.
>
> III.
> 5.      HTML Document Representation - Character sets, character
> encodings, and entities
> 6.      Basic HTML data types - Character data, colors, lengths,
> URIs, content types, etc.
> 7.      The global structure of an HTML document - The HEAD and BODY
> of a document
> 8.      Language information and text direction - International
> considerations for text
> 9.      Text - Paragraphs, Lines, and Phrases
> 10.     Lists - Unordered, Ordered, and Definition Lists
> 11.     Tables
> 12.     Links - Hypertext and Media-Independent Links
> 13.     Objects, Images, and Applets
> 14.     Style Sheets - Adding style to HTML documents
> 15.     Alignment, font styles, and horizontal rules
> 16.     Frames - Multi-view presentation of documents
> 17.     Forms - User-input Forms: Text Fields, Buttons, Menus, and more
> 18.     Scripts - Animated Documents and Smart Forms
>
> Comments.

I have the assertions for all of the HTML 3.2 / 4.0 stuff already
written.  The Open Group owns the 3.2 stuff, but will offer up the
assertions to us for the project.  That just leaves us needing a test
framework.  What I think we should do is use a test framework that
allows the creation of user accounts, tracks results, etc. ApTest has
such a tool that we offer commercially.  My current strategy is to
attempt to get this tool made available for this project's use hosted
either on an ApTest system or at the W3C.

Alternately, we can use some other test framework. However, I think that
what we have is pretty good for this task.

More later.