[Fwd: Re: [VE][108] Error Message: XHTML Role Attribute]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [VE][108] Error Message: XHTML Role Attribute
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:57:40 +0900
From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
To: Martin Kliehm <martin.kliehm@bluemars.net>
CC: steven.pemberton@cwi.nl, www-html@w3.org

[ removing www-validator@w3.org; the original thread was:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2006Sep/thread#msg58 ]

Martin Kliehm wrote:

> Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:
> > Martin Kliehm wrote:
> >
> >> Validating http://www.hateparade.org/2006/en/
> >> Error [108]: "there is no attribute 'role'"
> >>
> >> This website uses an implementation of the XHTML 1.1 Role Attribute
> >> Module 1.0, alas the validator does not read the DTD properly
> >
> > I suppose the validator did read the DTD. [...]
> > Which is not strange, as the comment in the DTD module says, the XHTML
> > Role Attribute Module does nothing.  You need to define the role attribute
> > where you need it by yourself.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation. I asked that at the www-html and
> www-html-editor list
	<snip/>
> So Steven says the DTD is alright, but the validator is broken. You
> confirm my assumption that the validator is working properly, but the
> DTD is yet undefined.

Note that I am not an HTML WG participant (anymore), so
I'm afraid I cannot speak for the HTML WG.  I'm speaking
only for myself.

> Shouldn't the role attribute be defined by the official W3C Role
> Attribute Module DTD? Of course I could extend my DTD, but I suppose
> that's the role of xhtml-role-1.mod, i.e. the XHTML Working Group, so it
> is standardized.

I'd leave the answer to the HTML WG, but I guess one of
the difficulties is that the role attribute can be attached
to arbitrary elements, including elements in non-XHTML
namespaces, so you cannot predefine which element can have
the role attribute (as opposed to e.g. the target attribute,
the XHTML Target Module specifies which elements in the XHTML
namespace can have the target attribute).  For better or
worse, the number of elements in the XHTML namespace is not
quite fixed, either.

In the meantime, you could add something like the following
in your customized DTD (after instantiating the XHTML Role
Qname Module but *before* instantiating the XHTML 1.1 DTD):

   <!ENTITY % Common.extra.attrib "%xhtml-role.attrs.qname;" >

This will allow the role attribute on most (but not all)
elements.

--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium