Re: [XHTML 2] 24.2 Position of param elements (PR#7753)

Shane McCarron wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
>> Also please define what a Conforming XHTML 2 Family User Agent should do in
>> the situation where PARAM's are not placed as per the restriction.
>>
>> <object ...>
>>  <param name="height" value="40" valuetype="data" />
>
> 2) we don't define error behavior, in particular in the case of validation
> errors.

You need to define error handling.  The fact is that authors will write
invalid markup and assuming that example was well formed, you need to
explicitly define whether or not a UA should make use of that param
element for interoperability reasons.  If you don't, you'll likely end
up with a situation where one implementation will ignore it because it
occurs after other content and another uses it regardless, and from that
the defacto standard behaviour will be determined based on the market
share of each.

> This is handled by XML.

XML only defines what that a validating UA should report an error in
this case, it doesn't define anything about whether or not the param
element should be used or ignored.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/