Re: Draft suggestion: "normal" needed

Mike-GBHXonline schreef:
> In HTML I need to use this:

> himself.</p>
>
> So I can get this result with or without styles.
>
> /Hmm, that's a /great/ idea/, he thought to himself.
>
> Without having to do this:

> I'm pretty emphatic that this is really needed. Your thoughts?

and it should not be used. The semantic element <em> ("Indicates
emphasis") is appropriate instead. See also:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1

Now for your case, there are two possibilities:

or:
himself.</p>

The nested <em>s is probably what you need, and if they are not by
default styled as non-italics when nested inside another em, you can
make it do so with the following CSS styling:

em { font-style: italic; }
em em { font-style: normal; }

On a final note, I strongly recommend you to use semantic (structural)
elements only, in combination with CSS. It being the ‘correct’ choice
aside, it also greatly improves the maintainability and flexibility of
your website.

~Grauw