+1 Re: XHTML 2.0 - dfn : Content model [semantic model] and usability

At 10:48 AM -0400 7/5/05, Karl Dubost wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We had a discussion on a French Web developer mailing-list
>[pompeurs][1] about dfn. The first comment was about the
>understanding of the definition in the specification. The second
>comment was about usability and to know if it was very useful.

[and later]

>So I'm not sure if dfn element is useful being underspecified.
>
>I propose either
>	- to drop it from the specification
>	- to add an element making possible to use it for automatic purpose.

I concur that it is underspecified and should be re-engineered.  The new form
might likely be a property for a container rather than a mark on a
symbol instance.

There has been a lot of discussion without a full resolution [1] on a
related topic,
"what markup techniques should be followed in authoring to make
content friendlier
to those with reading difficulties?"  If the author was inclined to
use 'dfn' markup
they clearly have the intent to use controlled vocabulary and we have
their attention.
This is easier than gaining the author's cooperation with words that
are just hard
because they are uncommon, where we have to flag the potential problems and
lure them into taking action to eliminate or document this word.

The PF working group is still interested in articulating patterns of
practice, and
how XHTML 2.0 supports these patterns of practice, in these areas.

Karl, would you be able to join a PF telecon sometime to discuss this?  Or help
us build a topical action team including talent from the pompeurs
list?  Anyone else
also interested in this topic please post to <wai-xtech@w3.org>
including a reference
to [1] or [2].