Re: Comment - 25. XHTML Role Access Module

John Foliot - WATS.ca wrote:

>Please, please, please.  Remove the "key" attribute of this new element and
>consider returning to the concept of allowing the end user/user agent to map
>the user's preferred keystroke combination to roles (pre-defined or other).
>Allow the end user, not the content author, to decide which keystroke
>mappings suit's *their* needs and user configuration (there is already some
>precedent in user agents providing this type of functionality, as witnessed
>in browsers such as Opera).  To do otherwise will continue to do a
>dis-service to many of the end users this element seeks to assist, is
>counter to web accessibility principles, and will leave this new element in
>the similar dustbin of time that thankfully accesskey seems to be headed
>towards.

+1

It always annoys me that on several pages, I can’t open my feed reader
(ALT+S). It would also be much more discoverable if the UA didn’t offer
some ‘hidden’ keys, but instead presented me with a list of actions for
a certain page I can fix to key bindings of my own choice.

~Grauw