Re: hr, fieldset, legend, sub, sup not to be removed XHTML Basic

Hi,

* "legend" and "fieldset" tags are VERY useful for grouping form fields.
Maybe they are not quite common because authoring tools have little
support for them, but they are explicitly mentioned on WCAG 1.0 [1] as a
way to improve accessibility.

* Perhaps some king of table or element with border might be configured to
look like a horizontal rule, but it will never be as semantically valid as
"hr" for stablishing a horizontal rule, which is a clear, well known,
simple separator. Using other tags to achieve similar visual
representation is a BIG mistake (degenerated markup).

* I have also been told that CSS rules might be applied to get the same
visual effects as sup and sub. However, I agree with you: that would lose
semantics!

So, you said a big truth (semantics should not be lost). The point is that
these tags (hr, fieldset, legend, sub, sup) have semantic value that would
be dramatically lost if special tricks based on CSS or HTML tags are used
to replace them. I don't really care about special tricks focused on
getting similar visual representation for these tags. I am concerned about
their semantics! I don't really mind if they have little support on
browsers or authoring tools, but I want to be able to create valid
documents with as much semantics as possible.

Removing these tags from XHTML Basic is a BIG mistake. Don't you think so?

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/

Vicente Luque Centeno
Dep. Ingeniería Telemática
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid