Re: Problem with LANG keyword

"Reuven Nisser" <rnisser@ofek-liyladenu.org.il> wrote:

> So, I would expect both to be possible:
> 	<META http-equiv="Content-Language" CONTENT="he,en-US">
>
> 	<HTML LANG="he,en-US">
>
> However, according to http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-html-lan the first is
> possible. But according to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html the second is not.

In HTTP, the Content-Language header field describes the natural
language(s) of the intended audience for the enclosed entity as a whole.
You MAY specify multiple languages, but that doesn't necessarily have
to be equivalent to all the languages used within the entity-body, and
you cannot specify which part is Hebrew and which part is English.

In HTML, the lang attribute specifies the base language of an element's
attribute values and text content.  You can only specify one language
code, but this can be used multiple times in a document, so if English
text is enclosed within Hebrew text, you may specify that change via
the lang attribute on an another element (e.g. span).

"Content-Language" and "lang" serve different purposes.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium