Re: [xhtml2] Definition of the l element missing (PR#6199)

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

inekemaa@xs4all.nl wrote:

> I am not sure but I can not find how to break a line in the textmodule.
> In the previous  draft <br /> was replaced by <line> But now I don't see
> anything  how to do it.
>
> Can you tell me whether I am right?

Sorry for the confusion.  The HTML WG decided to change "line" to "l",
but for some reason the definition of the l element was not incorporated
in the second draft.  It should have been section 8.10.

Here's what should have been there.  I hope we can publish the next
draft which includes the following text rather quickly.

==========

 8.10. The l element

   The l element contains a sub-paragraph that represents a sinle line of
   text. It is intended as a structured replacement for the br element.
   It contains a piece of text that when visually represented should
   start on a new line, and have a line break at the end. Whether the
   line should wrap or not visually depends on styling properties of the
   element.

   Attributes

   The Common collection
          A collection of other attribute collections, including: Core,
          Events, I18N, Bi-directional, Edit, Embedding, and Hypertext

   By retaining structure in text that has to be broken over lines, you
   retain essential information about its makeup. This gives you greater
   freedom with styling the content. For instance, line numbers can be
   generated automatically from the stylesheet if needed.

   For instance, for a document with the following structure:

      <l>program p(input, output);</l>
      <l>begin</l>
      <l>   writeln("Hello world");</l>
      <l>end.</l>

   the following CSS stylesheet would number each line:

      .program { counter-reset: linenumber }

      l:before {
          position: relative;
          left: -1em;