Re: WD-xhtml1-20011004: errata: '>' missing in transitionaldtd@+/- 6110

james anderson <james.anderson@setf.de> wrote:

> This practice is difficult for the uninitiated to work with. While such
> documents should not be used as reference material, they do serve as the
> basis for testing and should well be consistent and correct. Or, are
> they just for show?

Many "uninitiated" people were confused with the system identifiers
shown in XHTML 1.0 Recommendation, that's why these "example" system
identifiers were modified in the second edition.

> To defer the document's coherence to the point where it becomes a
> recommendation makes no sense. It makes nore sanse to change them in the
> transition from draft to recommendation.

That's because this is an update to the published Recommendation.

> > DTDs are available, and can be referenced through "dated" URIs, like:
> >
> >     http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xhtml1-20011004/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
> >     http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xhtml1-20011004/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
>
> which dtd has the same error as the one distributed in the zip file.

We know, we are not allowed to modify any byte in published technical
reports.  Draft might contain errors, that's one of reasons why we
don't update the "latest version" URI until new edition actually
becomes a Recommendation.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org