Re: Object elements allowed inside the head in XHTML

Hon Lau wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Just a quick question on object tags in the XHTML1.0 that I hope someone
> would be able to answer .
> In both the Transitional and Stict DTD, it is valid to put object tags
> inside of the head element (see extract below...)
>
> I believe that the contents of the head document does not get rendered
> inside the browser window,
> so this begs the question of why the object element is specifically allowed
> inside the head element?
> What value does this provide?

There's an example in the HTML 4 spec about "sharing
data among frames" [1], where an object element appearing
in the head of the document may be referenced from any
frame (e.g., from a script).

 _ Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/frames.html#sharing-frame-data

> <!--================ Document Head
> =======================================-->
>
> <!ENTITY % head.misc "(script|style|meta|link|object)*">
>
> <!-- content model is %head.misc; combined with a single
>      title and an optional base element in any order -->
>
> <!ELEMENT head (%head.misc;,
>      ((title, %head.misc;, (base, %head.misc;)?) |
>       (base, %head.misc;, (title, %head.misc;))))>
>
> <!ATTLIST head
>   %i18n;
>   profile     %URI;          #IMPLIED
>   >

> If anyone could provide an answer to it would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hon
>
> hlau@mobileaware.com

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783