Re: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml dead?

"Tom Byrer" <tombyrer@onebox.com> wrote:

> The latest XHTML1.0 spec lists in the example at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/#normative
> this example:
>
> However, following that link brought me to a page in need of updating.
> I do not like to enter URLs in my docs that do nothing.

"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" is the namespace URI which identifies
the XHTML namespace.  By definition [1], the function of the namespace
URI is to "identify" the particular namespace, and in the case of
XHTML, it happened to use http scheme following the guidelines about
namespaces for W3C specifications [2].  It is not the objective of
the namespace URI to be accessed and read by users.

You MUST designate the XHTML namespace using the xmlns attribute of
the root element of the document, in order to make your documents
conforming to the XHTML 1.0 specification [3].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#dt-namespace
[2] http://www.w3.org/1999/10/20-namespace-uris
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#docconf

Regards,