Re: HTML 4.01.pdf?

Ian Jacobs wrote:

> 1) The PDF file, uncompressed is 3 Mbytes. That's way too large
>    for most people to want to download, so we compressed it.
>    We could offer an uncompressed version in the next draft.

That would be very nice.

>    The problem is that people want the spec in 47 different
>    formats and combinations of formats. We drew the line at five.
>
> 2) Do you mean by visible link boxes the page number references
>    (e.g., [p.322])? I pretty much agree with you since there are
>    so many of them. I've stopped using them in other specs.

No, I mean the clickable links inside the pdf file.

> 3) I just downloaded the file and unzipped it (on Linux) and viewed
>    the PDF just fine. So I don't think it's corrupted.

It doesn't get corrupted on Linux. I have wasted an hour already trying
different strategies. I get the message the file is corrupted.

> 4) While I haven't tested the following information myself, I found
>    these hints on unzipping files on the Mac [2]. Also, the gzip
>    home page [3] lists a Mac port: MacGzip

If I save the file to disk and decompress it in Gzip on a Mac I get a pdf
file but it is corrupted. All I see inside it is the link boxes. No text.
Acrobat gives me warning messages "too few operands", "an unrecognized
token 'BTm' was found".

> Please let me know (on www-html-editor) whether you can view
> the file.

No, I can't.

Steven

--