Re: Apparent error on W3's XHTML 1.0 pages?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Thank you for your comment.  Yes, this does look like an error.
>
> I will pass this on to the editors .

Thanks Tim for responding to Brian.

I note that <log/> is an empty element and used as specified in the
MathML spec, i.e. the example is correct and not in error. I regret
that current browsers don't as yet support MathML, but we very much
hope this will be fixed in the next generation. Until then, you will
have to use other means for rendering math in Web pages. Further
details are available on the W3C math page:  http://www.w3.org/Math

> Brian Weaver writes:
> >
> > I'm very new to XHTML but in testing the coded samples of the W3...
> > On the page http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#acks of the W3
> >organization under "3.1.1 Strictly Conforming Documents" in the section
> >"3.1.2 Using XHTML with other namespaces" is a boxed example of XHTML with
> >the tag <log/> This appears to be an inversion of </log> but has no
> >enclosing tag <log>.

> lang="en">
> >                             <head>
> >                               <title>A Math Example</title>
> >                             </head>
> >                               <math
> >xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
> >                                 <apply> <log/>
> >                                   <logbase>
> >                                     <cn> 3 </cn>
> >                                   </logbase>
> >                                   <ci> x </ci>
> >                                 </apply>
> >                               </math>
> >
> > This appears to generates an error, and shows up as
> > "The following is MathML markup:
> ><log/> 3x"
> > on a web page.
> > I do not believe this is what was intended.

Regards,

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)