Re: Inconsistancy in HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD and specification

Morten Wang wrote:

Hello Morten,

The HTML WG has decided to change the type to %Length; to
allow for percentage values. This means that it will remain
CDATA. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

 - Ian

> Greetings,
>
> may I point your attention to
>
> the date of said post is 1999-02-09, pointing out the apparent
> inconsistancy between table cell widths as defined in the HTML 4.0
> spec and the HTML 4.0 Transitional DTD.
>
> reading through the proposed HTML 4.01 specification and Transitional
> DTD I find that this inconsistancy is still found.
>
> the HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD defines TH/TD as:
>
> <!ATTLIST (TH|TD)                      -- header or data cell --
> [snip]
>
> width       %Pixels;       #IMPLIED  -- width for cell --
>
> [snip]
> >

> the entity %Pixels is still defined as:
>
> <!ENTITY % Pixels "CDATA" -- integer representing length in pixels -->
>
> but the specification says:
>
>     width = pixels [CN]
>
> where "pixels" is defined as:
>
>     1.Pixels: The value (%Pixels; in the DTD) is an integer that
>       represents the number of pixels of the canvas (screen,
>       paper). Thus, the value "50" means fifty pixels.
>
> but, since the transitional DTD uses CDATA instead of NUMBER even _this_
> validates, even though the specification should be clear that only pixel
> values are allowed:

> do I have any hope of seeing this changed?  it's fairly difficult to try
> to convince newcomers that percentage widths in table cells is incorrect
> when it validates.
>
> Morten!
>
> --

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783