Re: "meta" attributes in XHTML

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Thierry MICHEL wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I am writting the SMIL metadata module
> http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/Group/Metadata/Metadata-19991019.html
>
> and I would like to have more details about the metainformation
> in the Modularization of XHTML spec
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/xhtml_modules.html#s_metamodule
> This XHTML spec has no definition for the "meta" attributes
> I18n, content, http-equiv, name and scheme. Are the definitions
> to be "inherited" from some prior version of HTML? Where are the
> formal definitions of these attributes?

The HTML working group is relying on HTML4 for the semantics
of the elements and attributes. We plan to normatively reference
HTML 4.01 in our Recommendations.

I expect that when the work gets rechartered next year, I will
propose that the XHTML using Schemas spec gives the semantics,
thereby dropping the need for the reliance on the HTML4 spec.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)