Re: REC-html40-19980424 Suggestion

"Joseph T. Voorhees III" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This is just a suggestion for http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/.
> In discussing this set of documents with many webmasters within
> Hewlett-Packard, both experienced and novice, I would like to
> request a usability enhancement:
>
> Where definitions of the various HTML elements are documented, for
> instance:
>
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#edef-INPUT
>
> it would be extremely helpful to show the following for each
> element:
>
>         1. What elements are allowed in said element.
>         2. What elements said element is allowed to be within.
>
> Thank you for your time,

Joseph,

We already have 2. available in the form of the DTD excerpts.
(Refer to the sgml tutorial for information about reading the
excerpts).

As for 1., I agree that this would be useful. The DTD does provide
this information, but we don't give it in abbreviated form.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will have time to add this to
the next version (to be published soon).

Thank you for the input,

 - Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783