Re: html 4.0 spec formats

TOMMY DEWALD wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just spent some time downloading and printing the 4.0 specs for
> reference here in the office.  While I was doing so, I was wondering
> how you manage the master 4.0 spec document while providing copies
> in many different formats, e.g., eps, html, pdf, ascii.  We are developing a
> large document that we'll want to serve through the Web in different
> formats much as the 4.0 spec.

The master is indeed in HTML 4.0:

 HTML -> Text by the Lynx browser.
 HTML -> Postscript: "html2ps"
             http://www.tdb.uu.se/~jan/html2ps.html
 PS -> PDF: ps2pdf in LInux

> Do you use MS Word or some other tool to make edits to the master
> document?

No, the HTML produced by those tools is not good enough. We write
some by hand and generate the rest using perl scripts.

> Once you've made these edits, how do you re-create the other formats
> from the updated master document?

We use make files and the aforementioned converters.

  _Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs