Re: Internal discrepancy in section 17 of HTML 4.0 spec

Jukka Korpela wrote:

> In the HTML 4.0 specification, subsection 17.13.3, under
> "Step four: Submit the encoded form data set"
> defines required support in two cases, both specifically using
> an ACTION attribute which is a HTTP URI, then says:
> "For any other value of action or method, behavior is unspecified."
>
> This logically implies, in particular, that behavior is unspecified
> when a form with ACTION="mailto:..." is submitted.
>
> On the other hand, at the end of section 17.3 there is the following:
> QUOTE
> The next example shows how to send a submitted form to an email address:
>
>  <FORM action="mailto:Kligor.T@gee.whiz.com" method="post">
>  ...form contents...
>  </FORM>
> UNQUOTE
>
> Thus, the specification provides an example of usage for which it
> says that the behavior is unspecified.

Hello Jukka,

Sounds reasonable to me. We should not be encouraging authors to
write pages that result in behavior that is not well-defined. Even
though examples are not normative, we should not encourage
practice that is not interoperable.

> Suggested alternative corrections:
> 1. Delete the example.
> 2. Change the introductory text associated with the example
>    so that it complies with the specification and does not make
>    claims on behavior which is not required, e.g.
> "The next example uses an action attribute with a mailto: URI,
> which is processed by some user agents so that the form content
> is sent by email to the specified address:"
>
> Alternative 1 would be the logically and practically sound choice.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll take this to the new HTML Working
Group.

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)