Re: Can you Double Space with HTML?

Gerald Rogers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been creating web pages now for more than 2 years.  Almost
> everytime I turn around, just like with computer technology, something
> new is coming out on HTML.  I try to implement as much of the new tags
> as possible in my documents.  I know the latest version included some
> tags for full justification.  Great, now we can control left, right,
> center, and full justification, just like with MS Word.

Hi Gerald,

This is not really true. The HTML Working Group elected not
to add additional presentation features to HTML 4.0 (when possible).

> Now I was wondering, can you control line spacing as well?  You know,
> make a paragraph double, or triple spaced by adding a few tags?  I know
> if I added <br> tags, that would work, but slow me down tremendously.

You should use Style Sheets to control spacing effects. See
the CSS1 [1] and CSS2 [2] Recommendations.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2

In particular, see the section on text spacing [3].

[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/text.html

Hope this helps,

 - Ian

--