Re: META http-equiv="refresh" syntax

Chris Tilt wrote:

> Hi. Perhaps others will benefit from correcting what appears to be
> a misprint in the HTML draft document. I appologize if I am making
> a redundant comment, as I am not familiar with the editing process.
>
> In section 7.4.4 Meta data, the paragraph starting...
> -------
> "Some user agents support the use of META to refresh the current page
> after a specified number of seconds, with the
> option of replacing it by a different URL.
>
> <META http-equiv="refresh" content="3,http://www.acme.com/intro.html">"
> -------
>
> Netscape and IE4 expect a different syntax than what is shown.
> They want a semi-colon(;) instead of comma(,), and the URL must
> be specified as "URL=<url>". So the corrected example would be:
>
> <META http-equiv="refresh"
> content="3;URL=http://www.acme.com/intro.html">"
>
> So, I don't know if the spec is in error, or if the browsers just
> don't follow the spec :-) Hope is wasn't too trivial.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We are aware of this
"discrepancy" and have asked a W3C committee to answer the question
"Should it be comma or semi-colon?" As yet, we have had no
response from them. As soon as we do, we'll know whether the spec
is in error or not, and we'll update the errata sheet accordingly.

Thank you again for pointing this out,

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)