Re: Broken process for errata [was: Re: Report...]

Misha Wolf wrote:

> Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your report, these errors are now recorded on the errata
> > sheet at
> > http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html40-updates/html40-errata.html
>
> Unless they are obvious typos, we shouldn't add errata to the list without a
> review process.  The erratum regarding the ISO 639 code for Hebrew is wrong.
> The HTML 4.0 spec is right.

I'm glad this issue has arisen so quickly, so that it may be dealt
with appropriately.

I have removed Arnaud's addition from the errata sheet
(see http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html40-updates/html40-errata.html)

I added a new section entitled Frequently Asked Questions,
where the Hebrew language code is mentioned (using information
from your previous email, Misha).
It already feels like there should be an HTML 4.0 FAQ
alongside the errata sheet -- the editors will have to
experiment a little with mechanisms to handle this new
phase of HTML 4.0. Input from the (ex-)WG is very welcome.

As for the process of verifying errors, I propose that
w3c-html-wg@w3.org be used for discussion of non-editorial
errors such as this one. The limitation of this mailing
list, however, is that we cannot refer to messages in
the archives from the public errata sheet. Perhaps
this extra level of documentation is unnecessary, but
it proved vital in maintaining the issues and todo lists.

Ian

--
Ian Jacobs / 401 Second Ave. #19G / New York, NY 10010 USA
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814