Re: frames

J M K Green wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've just been in discussion with a tech bod at www.netmachanic.com
> about frames in their HTML validator. The subject of compatibility
> between the new HTML 4.0 specification and the older one provided by
> Netscape and Microsoft and now used by *a lot* of people cropped up as
> being of vital importance.
>
> Basically, I tried to convert my index.htm which contains frames and a
> noframes area into the HTML 4.0 specification, and NN 3 promptly
> displayed nothing at all. If we are to use the new 4.0 specification,
> how are we to cater for older (pre 4.0 release) browsers who's document
> structure definition is, er, rather different? Surely a front page of:
>
> Click here for pre 4.0 browsers,
>
> or Here otherwise.
>
> cannot be justified, or am I getting things totally wrong?
>
> Please clarrify your position on this matter.

Hello,

Maximizing compatibility between versions of
HTML is one of the HTML Working Group's primary
concerns. However, at times the Working Group
considers certain changes so important, that
they agree to the changes in spite of the risk
that these changes may "break" existing documents.

In your case, I'm not certain what change in
the frames specification has provoked the
error. You would have to send us the frame
documents in question, or, better yet, a reduced
version of the document that produces the
same results in NN 3.

Thank you,

Ian Jacobs