Re: 24 Oct Release of HTML 4.0 spec: DTD system identifier not fixed

For each feature/issue/concept in the spec,
the first example is crucial.

Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> DTD
>
> Lots of work on the DTD. Please review.

>    * Fixed bugs in links at beginning of DTD (comment from Dan).

Not fixed:

==========
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Group/9710/WD-html40-971024/sgml/dtd.html

<!ENTITY % HTML.Version "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN"
  -- Typical usage:

==========

02 Oct 1997 I wrote:

>The first example is the one that folks will copy.
>The system identifier and the public identifier should be
>in the first example, since, as we agreed in August,
>it is "better still."

So please make the "typical usage" :

|<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN"
|            "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/sgml/HTML4-strict.dtd">

And please mention that folks can also reference this
specific revision of the DTD using:

     "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-971024/sgml/HTML4-strict.dtd">

(do you guys have an automated way to update the URLs
of all self-references in the document? Have you marked
all the places where it will have to change from Working
Draft to Recommendation?)

Please make sure all the examples in the spec that
include <!DOCTYPE...> write it per the above "typical usage."

--
Dan
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/